Redditch Road and Path Cycling Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Redditch Road and Path Cycling Club

RR&PCC Forum

HomeHome  RRPCC HomeRRPCC Home  Slipstreamers HomeSlipstreamers Home  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Redditch Audax

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Fenella

Redditch Audax Empty
PostSubject: Redditch Audax   Redditch Audax EmptySat 2 Feb - 9:16

There's a banner on the front page of the website in the latest news section which says:
"Miss the Redditch Audax? Volunteer to organise it!"

There's no link to go with this. Does anyone have more info? Sorry if this has already appeared as a topic on the forum somewhere, I haven't been on the website for a while and couldn't find any posts about it.
Back to top Go down
Steph
Admin
Steph

Redditch Audax Empty
PostSubject: Audax   Redditch Audax EmptySun 3 Feb - 23:31

Fenella,

The idea behind putting that on the website is that, as you know, the club has not run an Audax for the last few years now due to AUX changes which made it more difficult to get a compliant route. This resulted in us not having anyone to organise and co-ordinate the event.

Audax are not as popular as they once were; nevertheless they still have their following and are a nice event to have on the calendar.

We are looking for a member to come forward and organise a Redditch Audax. They will have the support of the club and committee in the running of it.

Key points to organising an event can be found here http://www.aukweb.net/organisers/howto/. On there you can also download the organiser’s handbook if you are interested.

Have a think about it and come back to us with any thoughts.

Steph
Back to top Go down
Fenella

Redditch Audax Empty
PostSubject: Re: Redditch Audax   Redditch Audax EmptyMon 4 Feb - 4:56

I'd be happy to organise it. It was a great event and would be good to see it back on the Audax calendar.
Back to top Go down

Redditch Audax Empty
PostSubject: Re: Redditch Audax   Redditch Audax EmptyMon 4 Feb - 5:07

This is great news thanks Fennella Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Gordon C

Redditch Audax Empty
PostSubject: Re: Redditch Audax   Redditch Audax EmptyMon 4 Feb - 5:27

Thanks Fenella

Gordon
Back to top Go down
Philip Whiteman

Redditch Audax Empty
PostSubject: Re: Redditch Audax   Redditch Audax EmptyTue 5 Feb - 0:04

Hi Fenella,

Just spotted this thread whilst spying on our neighbour's, the Redditch.

AUK requires each new audax organiser to have a 'mentor' when starting a new event. I am more than willing to act as your mentor if required. Saying that, with your excellent audax record, you'll have the knowledge and probably won't need much mentoring. T: 01562 731606 or p.whiteman@bham.ac.uk

As an aside, I am aware of the barriers that were placed in front of the last Redditch audax, unreasonably in my view. It is worth noting that the new AUK Events Sec is very amenable.

In response to a comment above about audaxes being less popular. That trend has substantially reversed in recent years where organisers have promoted their events. The Sunrise and Snowdrop were full to capacity three months in advance of the event date. My Kidderminster Killer is already filling. The LEL's 1,000 places were sold in 10 hours - a contrast to the 29 riders that rode the event in 1989! The events that are suffering are those where the organisers sit on their hands without the use of webpages, GPX availability or paypal entry. That sense of 'event' will place bums on saddles.

Back to top Go down
Steph
Admin
Steph

Redditch Audax Empty
PostSubject: Audax   Redditch Audax EmptyTue 5 Feb - 7:55

I stand corrected but that is always the way. Thought out strategy and good leadership will make a successful event or company... HMV, Jessops and the others had alternatives!!

Thanks Fenella!
Back to top Go down
Fenella

Redditch Audax Empty
PostSubject: Re: Redditch Audax   Redditch Audax EmptyWed 6 Feb - 8:07

Thanks for the offer Phil. I was aware that new organisers need a mentor. I'd thought of Mark and Louise Rigby, but somebody more local would be even better.

I think there's also a rule that new organisers can only organise an existing calendar event but I was hoping they'd waive that if I've got experienced helpers and the Redditch audax isn't an entirely new event.

Thanks again for the offer of mentoring - I'll give you a ring.
Back to top Go down
Philip Whiteman

Redditch Audax Empty
PostSubject: Re: Redditch Audax   Redditch Audax EmptyThu 7 Feb - 1:22

Fenella wrote:

I think there's also a rule that new organisers can only organise an existing calendar event....

"Events of a distance of more than 200km are not usually accepted from a new organiser, although exceptions may be made. Please contact the Events Team." AUK Organiser's Handbook (2013).

Taking this literally, I read the restriction as not including 200km events. So you should be okay. If thinking of a 300km event then AUK may be receptive when considering their Strategic Statement which identifies a need for longer distance randonees starting in the Midlands.

Back to top Go down
Fenella

Redditch Audax Empty
PostSubject: Re: Redditch Audax   Redditch Audax EmptyThu 7 Feb - 7:40

Has anyone still got a copy (preferably electronic) of the old route? Or even a GPS log?
Failing that, can anyone remember where it used to go?
Back to top Go down
Gordon C

Redditch Audax Empty
PostSubject: Re: Redditch Audax   Redditch Audax EmptyThu 7 Feb - 8:45

Fenella,
No I have not got a copy of the route.
Alan Partridge will almost certainly have a hard copy. Alan was the last organizer of the event.
I will e-mail Alan & copy you in as he may not follow the forum.
If Alan can provide the the route I'm happy to check it out and do a GPX version.

....or if he has not got a copy I'm sure it's in his head in which case I will sit down with him & get onto paper.

Gordon
Back to top Go down
Fenella

Redditch Audax Empty
PostSubject: Re: Redditch Audax   Redditch Audax EmptyThu 7 Feb - 8:52

Thanks Gordon but don't put yourself out too much over it as I think the route will probably need to be changed anyway. I just wanted something to get started with (and maybe save myself a bit of typing).
Back to top Go down
bobscarle

Redditch Audax Empty
PostSubject: Re: Redditch Audax   Redditch Audax EmptyTue 12 Feb - 1:47

Fenella

I am pretty sure I have a paper copy, a map and a GPX log. If you still want them let me know.

Bob
Back to top Go down
Fenella

Redditch Audax Empty
PostSubject: Re: Redditch Audax   Redditch Audax EmptyTue 12 Feb - 1:53

The map and GPS log would be really useful (Gordon has already sent me the route sheet).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Redditch Audax Empty
PostSubject: Re: Redditch Audax   Redditch Audax Empty

Back to top Go down

Redditch Audax
Page 1 of 1